Report Builder Report Samples
[This topic is pre-release documentation and is subject to change in future releases. Blank topics are included as placeholders.]
With Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services, you can build ad hoc reports using Report Builder. Before beginning, you can upload Report Builder report samples to the report server and view them in Report Builder. This sample is not supported on IA64.
|Business Intelligence (BI) Development Studio is not supported on Itanium-based computers. However, support for BI Development Studio is available for x64-based computers. If the SQL Server sample databases have been deployed on an Itanium-based computer,
use BI Development Studio on either an x86-based or x64-based computer to modify and run the samples.
The Report Builder sample reports are shipped with SQL Server. The SQL Server samples are not installed automatically during setup. For instructions about how to install the samples, see
in SQL Server Books Online. After you run the samples installation, the samples are located at:
\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Samples
The purpose of these report samples is to show SQL Server Reporting Services Report Builder users how ad hoc reports are created in Report Builder using predefined templates, how they can be modified within Report Builder, and how they are published to the
Report Definition Language (RDL) and Semantic Model Definition Language (SMDL)
The report samples use the following Reporting Services features.
Before uploading and working with these samples in Report Builder, make sure that you have:
- Deployed the AdventureWorks report model to the report server that you are using to launch Report Builder.
- Permissions to access the data in the AdventureWorks database.
- Permissions to publish to the report server.
Installing the Report Samples on Your Report Server
The report samples need to be published to the report server where the AdventureWorks report model is deployed. Once the reports are on the report server, you can open the reports in Report Builder.
To publish the report samples
- Place the sample reports in a network location that is accessible to you.
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2008, and then click
SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio.
- On the File menu, point to Open, and then click Project/Solution.
- In the Open Project dialog box, navigate to the location where you placed the sample reports.
- Select Report Builder Sample Reports.sln, and then click Open.The contents of the project are displayed in Solution Explorer. The following reports are listed in the Reports folder: Customer List, Product Sales by Year, and Sales by Territory.
Note: These reports cannot be opened directly from the project because they are not bound to the report model until they are published on the report server.
- On the Build menu, click Deploy Report Builder Sample Reports.When the deployment completes successfully, a
Deploy succeeded message is displayed at the bottom of the window.
Opening a Report Sample in Report Builder
After you have published the report model to the report server, you can open it in Report Builder.
To open a report sample in Report Builder
- Open your Web browser and in the address bar type the URL for your report server. By default, the URL is http://<webservername>/reports.
- Press ENTER. Notice that the Report Builder Sample Reports folder appears on the Contents tab.
- Click Report Builder.
- In the Getting Started pane, click Open from Report Server.
- In the Open Report dialog box, select the sample report that you want to open, and then click
Open. The report is displayed in the design area of the Report Builder window. © 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.